I like the "in-your-face" font size of the title.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Top Chef: Masters

*Top Chef: Masters spoilers below*

Has anyone been watching the new "Top Chef: Masters" episodes? I definitely have. Tonight was the final episode before the finale next week. I though that this episode was a great one.

The quick fire they did is one of my favorite ones they do on "Top Chef" and it's fun to watch the different things the chefs come up with. It seems pretty easy until, of course, you put on the blindfold. So Michael Chiarello wins with 7 right and receives 5 stars. Anita Lo and Rick Bayless both got 6 right and received 4 stars. In last was Hubert Keller who got 5 right and received 3 and 1/2 stars. I was really hoping Hubert or Rick would have one this, but there is more to come.

The elimination challenge was a fun one to watch. I love it when they bring some chefs back from previous seasons. I ALWAYS hope Marcel will be in that group, but of course he almost never is. It's always Ilan. Why? The chefs who return are: Season 2's Betty Frasery, Elia Aboumrad, and Ilan Hall. Season 3's Chris "C.J." Jacobsen and Brian Malarkey. Season 4's Dale Talde, Evangelos "Spike" Mendelsohn, Antonia Lofaso, and Richard Blais. <3 Season 5's Alex Eusebio, Jamie Lauren, and Fabio Viviani. Based on these choices I would have chosen the following chefs for the following reasons (not in order I would choose just in order of what season on).

Elia Aboumrad



Choice: 3rd
Reasons: Elia made it to the final 4 in her season and showed that she was good at handling many things and dealing with the people around her in that season *cough* Ilan *cough*. She seems to be a very calm person when dealing with stressful situations and is a great chef. She also has experience in pastries and desserts so that's definitely a plus for dessert.

Dale Talde



Choice: 2nd
Reasons: Dale has shown in his season that he is good at making things right or even better when they go wrong. The example I am speaking of is when the pork went bad when he and Stephanie were a team on the episode before the finale and he ended up making a better dish. He might have a temper, but he is one of the best chefs we've seen on the show.

Richard Blais



Choice: 1st
Reasons: Richard is a very talented and inventive chef. He is always coming up with new ideas to add flavor, texture, and something interesting to your food. His use of molecular gastronomy (one of the things I definitely want my cooking to have) is amazing and fun and also brings something new to the plate.

Now onto the rest of the challenge. They pick their sous chefs (no particular order): Hubert picks Elia, Spike, and Antonia. Michael picks C.J., Brian, and Fabio. Rick picks Richard, Alex, and Betty. Anita picks Dale, Jamie, and Ilan. During the interviewing of the chefs Michael is being incredibly crazy telling all the chefs to show their knife skills. Maybe he would have been better off just asking them questions about what's to come and what they know how to do. My favorite part was when Spike totally told him no and didn't do it. Everyone was excited and happy that someone stood up to him. Then the fight between Dale and Michael. This guy just can't stop making people mad can he? I totallly supported Dale in this one and obviously he won. In the end Hubert came in first winning with an awesome menu, Rick came in second, Michael came in third, and Anita came in fourth meaning she was the one to be sent home.

Next week looks really good. I guess you kind of need Michael in there to cause more things to happen. My hope is that Rick wins, but I would be happy too if Hubert won.

2 comments:

Charise said...

First off, I have a question: Why is it called Masters? haha. Are they winners from previous Top Chef shows? Oh wait I see, if I kept reading! lol. And molecular gastronomy? I don't believe I've ever heard of that before. It sounds sexy. :D You should compete on Top Chef one day!

Shannon said...

It's called Top Chef: Masters because all of the chefs are very famous and have accomplished things and are known as that. Molecular gastronomy is soooooooooo awesome. It's like using science with cooking and I want to do it with my cooking. I hope I can be on Top Chef one day and I know they are making a Top Chef Junior, but I don'tknow much about it. :)